Friday, May 25, 2012

Dailies demise is discouraging


Question: When is a daily newspaper not a daily?

Answer: When it no longer publishes a newspaper daily. I mean publishes, on paper, a newspaper that is delivered to your home and to the newsstands DAILY.

I’ve been bummed and saddened since the news (published in my still-daily-for-now hometown daily newspaper) that the three largest daily newspapers in Alabama will go to a three-times-weekly publishing schedule as part of a “new digital focus.”

Focus, bocus.

I’m as digital as the next person and, as a reporter for half of my ever-lengthening working life, I knew that the things have been a-changing for print media. But it’s still sad, and it’s still a loss for those of us, and we are many, who want a paper newspaper. That’s what it’s called, a newspaper.

But, beginning in the fall, The Birmingham News, Mobile’s Press-Register and The Huntsville Times will stop printing newspapers except on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Readers will (be left to) get their daily news from a revamped, new-and-improved digital source at al.com. Al.com is great, but I still want my newspaper, the newsprint, the ink on the fingers, the turning the pages to the story’s jump, circling something I want to remember, clipping out a story to keep or share.

Digital, smigital. It’s just not the same.

In staff reports and a letter from The Birmingham News publisher, there was talk of “reshaping how Alabama’s leading media companies deliver award-winning local, sports and entertainment coverage in an increasingly digital age.”  Al.com is being revamped and will be around-the-clock, seven-days-week news source. You’ll just have to go to your computer or smart phone to read about it (and bring the magnifying glass for those smart phone articles).

If I’m this upset about losing the daily in daily newspapers, I can imagine what my parents’ generation is saying – those folks who are not joined by texting thumb and finger to their digital devices and computers.

“Where’s the newspaper?” Ma asked. “ It’s in the computer,” Pa answered.

They probably feel like I do and others I know – bewildered at the idea of not having a newspaper to open and read every day. Reading a daily newspaper is something I’ve been doing my whole life, and writing for them is something I’ve done for half of it.

I remember when Birmingham had TWO dailies. I wrote for both of them – interning and working a Christmas break at The Birmingham Post-Herald (then the morning paper) the year before I graduated in journalism from Auburn and then being a stringer (another old-fashioned newspaper word, like daily) or correspondent for The Birmingham News in the 1990s.

I worked for a small daily that was then still a real daily, 7 days a week, at The Selma Times-Journal for years. (My Facebook profile picture has a younger me holding an Alabama map, at the crossroads in Selma, taken by veteran reporter Alvin Benn).

I’ve also been in the trenches at a weekly, The Auburn Plainsman, and a semi-weekly (twice a week) at The Auburn Bulletin back in the day. If a twice-weekly newspaper is called semi-weekly (which it is, not to be confused with a bi-weekly which we in the biz called a publication printed every two weeks), then what’s a three-times a week newspaper called? A tri-weekly?

I’m too depressed to look that one up.

No matter what you call it, a tri-weekly-supposed-to-be-a-daily or whatever, there will still be reporters reporting the news. I loved being a newspaper reporter, and I’d do it again in a minute. Nothing compares to it. Being a reporter, you can “ask people who don’t know things that are none of your business,” as one of my reporter heros Kathryn Tucker Windham used to say.

I loved news reporting -- gathering the information, writing for deadline, seeing your by-line and knowing you did the best you could do to get the readers (and believe it or not, we always thought about the readers) the best information, presenting in the most compelling way. But even four years ago -- when downsizing launched me from corporate communications-public affairs land and I thought I might go back to reporting -- newspaper reporting jobs were scarce. The veterans who taught us so well were retiring or being retired, trudging out the newsroom door. And, now the profession just took another hit. But, I’m pulling for you, you determined print-to-digital journalists. Hang in there. News is news; writing is writing. Communicating is communicating. I get it. I just don’t like it.

This change, this “new digital focus,” is about business, about surviving in a changing marketplace. I know that, and probably most disappointed subscribers of these never-again-to-really-be-daily newspapers understand that.

But, it doesn’t mean that we’re not disappointed at the demise of the daily. 

Goodbye old friend. My ink-stained fingers will miss you.


Song of the day:
I can’t think of a newspaper song, so in honor of the 71st birthday May 24 of writing genius Bob Dylan, I offer some of his words about change.

"Come writers and critics who prophecize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide the chance won’t come gain
And don’t speak too soon for the wheel’s still in spin
And there's no tellin' who that it's namin'
For the loser now will be later to win
For the times they are a-changin'."

-- The Times They Are A-Changin’, by Bob Dylan (1963)


Picture of the day:

This one combines the subject, newspapers, with this precious picture of my first-born William Frank Walburn, who turns 30 on Sunday, May 27. Times, they do change. Happy birthday Will. And, the newspaper he’s holding, it’s The Selma Times-Journal, a daily.


2 comments:

  1. OK. I really didn't want to think about this, but now you've got the ink flowing again! Remember when the STJ first got VDTs (video display terminals)? The folks they brought in to train us mentioned that such was the future, that one day our readers would read the news on a computer! Back then, we couldn't even imagine such a punch to the profession! I still prefer touching the ink and turning the pages while sitting in my recliner and drinking mint tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Jackie. As a former newspaper reporter, I'm saddened and dismayed by this ugly turn of events as well. That's progress for you.

    ReplyDelete